Monday, May 23, 2011

Fiddlehead Soup

Ever the person to try out new things, I decided on the weekend to pick fiddleheads while out in the country and try my hand at making something with them. Recently, my great-uncle Doug passed away and I remember him having loved them. So I thought I'd try something in his honour.

I am currently making this recipe:

Fiddlehead Soup

2 tbsp rice, long grain
460 g fiddleheads
4 tsp butter, unsalted
1 shallots, finely chopped
4 cups chicken broth
salt to taste
ground pepper to taste

Cook the rice and set aside.

Prepare the fiddleheads: wash them well, soak them at least 10 minutes, then blanch them 8 min in a pot of boiling salted water. Set them aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the finely chopped shallot and sauté 2-3 min until it is translucent, taking care not to let it burn. Add the fiddleheads and cook 1 min, then pour in the broth and the rice. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 5 min. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Purée the soup in a blender, then distribute it into bowls and serve.

So far it looks good... I'll keep you posted.

Update: so I made it. It looks creamy puree goodness. It's a bit bitter for my taste but still delicious. A nice change.

No comments:

Post a Comment